Dental emergency in New York
A dental emergency can put a damper on your day, no matter when it happens. If you have one, you can restore your smile and alleviate your pain if you know where the nearest emergency dental clinic is. These emergencies can go from minor to life-threatening, whether you develop an abscess, get a tooth knocked out, or chip your tooth.
This is why our professional staff knows how to handle dental emergencies, and we offer same-day appointments at our office in New York. We make booking an appointment easy, no matter how large or small the problem is. We want all of our patients to know what a dental emergency is when you should call for help, and what to do to prepare for a dental emergency, so we outlined all of this for you below.
Understanding Dental Emergencies
Generally, an emergency situation is one that requires very fast help from medical staff. Knocked-out teeth, broken braces, broken or chipped teeth, severe pain, or abscesses all typically fall into this category. However, some dental problems aren't necessarily emergencies, and you could wait to schedule an appointment at our family dental clinic during regular business hours. These can usually wait if you have a minor chipped tooth or a loose filling. But, if you have heavy bleeding or extreme pain, this is an emergency that requires immediate attention.
When to Call 911
Dental problems account for a very small percentage of emergency room visits in the United States. But, if you have trouble breathing or have heavy bleeding, it's a good idea to head to your local emergency room and seek treatment as quickly as possible. Severe head trauma or a broken jaw are two common conditions that are good contenders for emergency care. If you're unsure whether to go to the ER, we encourage you to be cautious and contact them.
How to Prepare for a Dental Emergency
Dental emergencies can be scary and painful, but knowing what to do before they happen can help ensure you stay calm while increasing the chances of saving your tooth or teeth. The following steps will help prepare you if you have an emergency:
Chipped or Broken Teeth
- Clean the area with a warm water rinse.
- Get a piece of gauze or cloth and apply pressure if you notice bleeding.
- Reduce any swelling by applying a cold compress.
- Make an appointment with an emergency dental clinic.
- Swish with warm water to rinse your mouth.
- Floss around the area to remove any irritating, stuck food particles.
- Don't put any painkillers directly on the area, as this can injure the tissue.
- Apply a cold compress to reduce the swelling.
- Schedule an appointment with PDA Dental.
- Hold your tooth by the top portion and rinse it, avoiding touching the roots.
- Slide the tooth gently back into the socket.
- Bite down to hold the tooth in place.
- If you can't get the tooth back into the socket, put it in a cup of milk to keep it moist.
- Go to the dentist, taking any tooth fragments with you.
Bleeding or Soft Tissue Injuries
- Clean the area with a saltwater rinse.
- Rinse your mouth and apply pressure to the area to stop the bleeding.
- Call emergency services if you have severe bleeding or can't stop it.
Get Same-day Dental Appointments in New York at PDA Dental
We understand the importance of prompt dental care in preserving your tooth and minimizing damage. That is why, at PDA Dental, we offer same-day dental services to our valued patients. As a reputable family dental clinic in New York, we are committed to relieving your pain and restoring your smile as soon as possible.
We understand that not every dental problem is an emergency. Minor issues can frequently be postponed until regular office hours. However, if you are experiencing severe pain or uncontrollable bleeding, we strongly advise you to seek emergency medical attention immediately.
When you choose to entrust your dental health to us, you can expect an immediate assessment of the problem, prompt action to mitigate any damage, and a clear discussion of the best treatment options available. We are dedicated to preserving your oral health and restoring your radiant smile while ensuring your comfort and peace of mind.
If you have a dental emergency or have a question, please do not hesitate to contact our office. Our friendly, professional staff is eager to help you, and we can even set up your appointment right away.